Author Topic: S.K.A.T.E.  (Read 1470 times)

Description:

Postmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
S.K.A.T.E.
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:51 AM »
10 years ago the County  received  grant money for Lowden Park.  At that time there was a Skateboard Park on the list of projects to be funded with the grant.  Unfortunately, the Lowden Park Pool was in desperate need of repairs and remodeling, so the Board voted to use the Skateboard Park funds for the pool.  And we have a very nice pool.  When that happened, my Son, Jake and I and some of his friends formed S.K.A.T.E.  We had a lot to learn and it was difficult to rally the community, but we kept doing fundraising, and  trying and dreaming and hoping and then, the County had another go at a Park Grant and we waited on that, only to be denied by the State.  I wrote and sent in a big packet to Rob Dyrdek in 2013, but never heard back. We want to build a temporary wood skatepark to use until we can apply for more grants, like Tony Hawk. But those grants are tough and we need at least $10,000 in the bank for matching funds and to show community support.  We have raised $750 in the last year, and we need $1000 to start a bank account. The big project needs about $75,000.  So, in the meantime, we are looking into sites where we can build wood ramps, (diyramps.com) for the kids to skate, sooner than later! Please donate to the S.K.A.T.E fund either here, or if you live in Weaverville, CA you can donate your recyclable money at Trinity Recycling Center. 
THANK YOU.  Kelly Frost
*S.K.A.T.E. is a subsidarary of the Weaverville/Douglas City Parks and Recreation District.

http://www.gofundme.com/x2u8g7s

Postmaster

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: S.K.A.T.E.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

We got the boards approval to get started!! If anyone wants to get involved get ahold of Dexter Herron or myself or come see us at Juice Garden!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=860610267322206&set=gm.1008680239156050&type=1